Thursday, February 5, 2009

I'm sad today and let me tell you why...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/05/army.suicides/index.html

I read this article when I was getting my latest dose of news from CNN. I think it's disgusting that we have spent $1.3 trillion in a war that never should have happened. But those of you reading this already know my thoughts on that.

The gist of the article, is that once confirmed, more soldiers would have died by their own hand than by combat in Jan '09. Multiple deployments, seperation from family, financial crisis and not getting adequate mental-health treatment are all to blame. If not more. This is what makes me sad, perhaps disgusted is a better word. We have dickheads in the corner offices of the banks we were 'forced' to bailout, with OUR money, re-decorating offices for $1.2 million and cashing in $15million bonus checks for FAILING at what they do. Many of these kids are essentially forced to go to war b/c they come from places that have poor education and poverty which leave them with few options in life than any of us were afforded. These guys come home to people who don't support the war they are in and have learned that they aren't fighting for what they thought originally was a righteous cause. Soldiers get crap pay, even worse benefits and perhaps the most worrisome - little to no respect. I wonder if they factor in the cost of human life while they are ringing up their $12B/month bill on the "war against terror".

Does that seem unfair to you?

I think it's total BS.

No comments: